One of Nigeria’s most sought-after traditional menswear fashion designers, Seyi Adekunle aka Seyi Vodi, Chairman, Vodi Group of Companies, recently celebrated two decades in the ever-challenging profession as a Nigrian based fashion entrepreneur.
The Abuja based talent took to his social media page to narrate his eventful journey.
According to him, “On 8th July 2001, exactly 20 years ago today, I planted a seed. To the glory of God, that seed has become a giant tree.
Known for his distinct pose while showing off his crisp pieces, here are a few life’s lessons that fashion has taught him that can be applicable as well to our everyday living.
– When you want to setup a tailoring business in Naija, buy a tool called “Shock absorber” along with other tools.
–The entrepreneur’s life is not that of a constant high. I have my moments of deep discouragement and during these moments, I go to God in prayers for redirection.
– Looking back, when I started, all that I had were my belief, enterprising spirit, and trust in God that I was on to something that would take me even farther than my imagination.
– while it is good to build businesses, it is even much better to build relationships!
– Tailoring work is not a quickie, it requires full attention. In the beginning I had to romance my staff daily to get them into work mode. Sometimes I massaged the tailor’s ego and even served breakfast in bed. This is the naked truth.
– I have been tested. I have even faltered at times. But at no time did I let go on my dream, commitment to excellence and the belief that I was in this business to touch lives.
– One day at a time.
– Sometimes you fight so hard and nothing seems to happen. What about the times you didn’t have to fight to wake up?
– Each day is an opportunity to proffer solutions to life’s unending challenges. Don’t pass the buck,make no excuses, just provide solutions.
– Yes! There is technology, social media, branding, packaging etc. In as much as they aid progress in the field of tailoring, lack of self-management and discipline will be the undoing of any designer if there’s no caution. To have an enduring structure, YOU must be structured.